Monday, March 4, 2013

Getting Ready for Travel

As we prepare for our trip overseas to meet our girl, I can't help but realize how each day I become to think more and more like a mom.  At first we were just thinking, what will we need to take with us? What is the process for international travel? Etc., etc.  But then there was the thought of gifts to take to the orphanage directors, adoption agency workers, and so forth.  All of this running through my administrative mind.

Then it comes to thinking about spending those five days with a 12 year old girl we are just meeting.  What will she think? Will she be happy? Apprehensive? Aloof?

Who knows?  But then a friend of mine reminded me of all the times we worked with kids in Mission Arlington Bible Studies or even with the refugee kids who didn't speak English, and that we just cared about them, taught them about Jesus, and had fun.  I don't recollect a single one of those kids disliking me.  Oh sure, they were kids and had attitude sometimes or didn't always want to follow instructions or join in on the activity of the moment.  But it had nothing to do with whether or not they liked me.  So why if I can take on a group of 20 bible study kids am I so nervous about this one visit? Probably because in this case, the eventual plan is to bring this one child home.  And yet, I am reassured that as a general rule kids like me, so it is likely that we will get along over those five days.

It is so hard to wait though.  Wondering what she is like. What does she like to do?  What is she interested in?  We are packing a suitcase full of fun stuff to do ... crayola, markers, sketch paper, jump ropes, craft kits, and so forth.  In hopes there will be enough variety that something will hit her interest area.

I know this is more about getting to know each other rather than what we do in particular, but still I want her to be happy.  And today, I went shopping for a little more ... just in case.  Some Easter basket type stuff.  I realize most of these things will need to be shared with everyone, so am buying things to take that can be shared.  Because I want my daughter to know that sharing and giving is an important value.  "My daughter" ... sigh, someday soon.  So excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment